29 Jun Gluten free carrot, banana and flax muffins
These muffins are packed with ripe banana, so are naturally sweet and need little or no added sugar. With the addition of grated carrot and flaxseeds they are the perfect healthy snack for kids(or adults!) on the run, just remember to make the nut free version if making for school lunch boxes.
- 75g (¾ cup) gluten free plain flour (Orgran brand)
- 2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 80g (¾ cup) almond meal
- 1 large carrot, peeled, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons coconut, raw or brown sugar (optional)
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds (linseeds) or chia seeds
- 2 large (or 3 small) very ripe bananas, well mashed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon macadamia oil
- 60ml (¼ cup) milk (cow’s, soy or almond)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180°C or 160°C fan forced, line a 12 hole 80ml (⅓ cup) capacity muffin tin with paper cases.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and cinnamon into a large bowl, stir through the almond meal, grated carrot, sugar (if using) and flax seeds. Combine the mashed banana, eggs, oil, milk and vanilla in a separate bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just smooth.
- Divide mixture between prepared cases, bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out cleanly.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and set aside to cool completely.
For a non gluten free version, omit the gluten free flour with spelt or regular wheat flour.