03 Jun Chickpea, tomato & quinoa soup with pesto toasts
This soup is perfect for vegetarians as combining legumes (chickpeas) with a whole grain such a quinoa makes this a complete protein and therefore a balanced meal. This recipe is perfect for freezing, why not make some extra and have it on hand for an easy mid-week meal!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 1 large stick celery, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 long red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 65g (⅓ cup) quinoa grain, briefly rinsed, drained
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 750ml (3 cups) vegetable or chicken stock (see tips)
- 8 slices sourdough baguette or gluten free bread
- Good quality basil pesto (see tips), to serve
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and cook the onion and celery, stirring for 5-6 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic, chilli and spices and cook, stirring for 1 minute, then add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more.
- Add the chickpeas, quinoa, tomatoes and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low, partially cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Blend half of the soup until smooth and return to the saucepan with the remaining soup. Place over medium heat, season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and warm through.
- Meanwhile, toast the slices of bread until golden and then spread each with a little basil pesto. Serve the soup with the pesto toasts.